Saint Stanislaus Kostka is a Catholic School
serving children from Preschool through 8th Grade.
Saint Stanislaus is accredited by the State of Indiana and AdvanceED. While we are a Catholic institution, we welcome students of all religious backgrounds. We believe that every child, regardless of race, gender, or religion, deserves the same time and attention a private school can offer. We are committed to providing an education that will meet and exceed the individual needs of every student and build a strong foundation for a successful future.
HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH AND OUR SCHOOL
In 1890, Bishop Aldering of the Diocese of Fort Wayne asked Rev. Emmanuel Wrobel to start a parish for the Polish speaking people of Michigan City. Temporary quarters were set up in Saint Mary’s rectory and services were held on the second floor of the grade school.
In January 1891, Fr. Wrobel was appointed pastor of the new parish, and the same year a two-story combination school-church-sister’s convent was constructed.
In 1906, he enlarged the building, and then expanded to a two-story rectory. The combination building continued to be used for all three purposes until 1926, when the Rev. Jospeh Bolka, who succeeded Fr. Wrobel in 1909, built a very large church. In 1938, Fr. Bolka built a modern convent for the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who had charge of the school. Two years later, in 1940, he dismantled the old combination church and school and built a modern school, which stands today.
Although the Nuns no longer instruct our children, the Catholic Education spirit they began so many years ago is still alive today. While we embrace our Polish heritage, today’s parish is a diverse community of all ethnicities.